One rainy weekend in April 2002, the co-founder felt adventurous and walked into a sex shop to buy a vibrator, but was truly disappointed.
Why was everything so tasteless and offensive? It felt unfair to women. They studied the market and were amazed – in the UK, there are more women who have a vibrator at home, than households with a dishwasher.
Elsewhere, 50% of women use vibrators and two thirds of the rest want to try. They also discovered that 80% of women experience pain during sex due to vaginal dryness, but less than 4% like the traditional lubricants available.
Two simple facts became evident; first, demand for sexual wellbeing products is universal and second, the shopping environment, product design and quality were alarmingly unappealing the world over. No brand was speaking respectfully to women.
They left their safe careers, decided to make a difference and in 2013, Smile Makers was launched. The idea was simple – the best product experience, a brand that women can love, promoted and sold in everyday environments.
The mission: to normalize the perception of female sexuality
We bring sexual pleasure OUT IN THE OPEN
• We are sold only in health and beauty stores where women love to shop, never in sex shops
• We get coverage by lifestyle bloggers and leading female magazines…
• We create gorgeous products that win the most prestigious design awards
We make sexual pleasure A FANTASTIC EXPERIENCE
• We tailor our products to women’s needs and desires, with insights from thousands of consumers.
• We keep up to date with the latest research from doctors and sexologists
• We only work with first-class suppliers with the strictest safety and quality standards
We deliver SEX EDUCATION on female pleasure
• We are a trusted adviser to promote sexuality awareness and education with local governments
• We promote Sexual Wellbeing Education to the public by uniting NGOs, sexologists and gynecologists